Kiss France forum
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

AccueilPortailDernières imagesS'enregistrerConnexion
-28%
Le deal à ne pas rater :
Brandt LVE127J – Lave-vaisselle encastrable 12 couverts – L60cm
279.99 € 390.99 €
Voir le deal

Partagez

Mark St John

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas 
Aller à la page : Précédent  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuteurMessage
phiphiMonsterMessages : 11381
Mark St John - Page 7 Vide
MessageSujet: Re: Mark St John   Mark St John - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSam 15 Oct - 11:29

15.10.2022 11:22:33
https://rockcelebrities.net/mark-st-john-what-happened-to-kiss-lesser-known-guitarist/

Mark St. John: What Happened To KISS’ Lesser-Known Guitarist

Elif Ozden . October 13, 2022 . 4 mins read
Mark St John - Page 7 Mark-s10
KISS has undergone numerous lineup changes since the band’s formation in 1973, with Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons remaining the only consistent members. While the best-known lineup of KISS consisted of Paul Stanley, Gene Simmons, Ace Frehley, and Peter Criss, the band had several other members whose careers were brief.

When Criss left in 1980, Eric Carr joined as his replacement, and when Carr passed away in 1991 from heart cancer, Eric Singer took his place. Two years after Criss’ departure, Ace Frehley also decided to leave the band. Vinnie Vincent officially replaced Frehley in December 1982, and a year later, KISS decided it was time for a change and entered their unmasked era.
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
phiphiphiphiMonsterMessages : 11381
MessageSujet: Re: Mark St John   Mark St John - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSam 15 Oct - 12:48

15.10.2022 11:30:52

Mark St. John’s Music Career And Tragic Lifestory

Mark St John - Page 7 Mark-s11
Mark St. John was a respected teacher and a guitarist for the Southern California cover band Front Page before joining KISS. When he became a KISS member, he contributed to the band’s second unmasked-era album ‘Animalize.’ After its release on September 13, 1984, the album ended up being one of the band’s most successful studio albums, except for the ones made by the original KISS lineup. Moreover, his only music video appearance with KISS is in the video for ‘Heaven’s On Fire.’

During the recordings of ‘Animalize,’ St. John had issues with his bandmates. Paul Stanley argued that the guitarist struggled to play the same solo twice, so he had to dub certain parts of St. John’s solos. Sadly, the guitarist started to develop reactive arthritis, and he couldn’t play with the band as his hands and arms were swollen. So, Mark ended up playing only two shows with the band during the ‘Animalize’ tour. In the end, Bruce Kulick replaced him on December 8, 1984.

After leaving KISS, Mark St. John teamed up with David Donato, Barry Brandt, Brian James Fox, and his brother Michael Norton and formed the White Tiger. Together, they recorded their self-titled debut and a second album titled ‘Raw.’ St. John continued teaming up with several artists on music projects, such as playing the lead guitar for Ken Tamplin’s ‘Livin’ For My Lord,’ and working with David Hasselhoff and Jeff Scott Soto. In 1990, the guitarist also made a demo with Peter Criss.

Mark and Peter worked together in White Tiger, but the demo was a commercial failure. This led to friction between the two as St. John had to get on with making a living. Criss then left in 1991 and founded his solo project ‘Criss.’ After that, Mark formed the short-lived band, the Mark St. John Project, and released a limited edition EP in 1991. Following his appearance at a KISS expo in 1991 and the release of an all-instrumental CD in 2003 titled ‘Magic Bullet Theory,’ the guitarist didn’t make any further public appearances.

On September 14, 2006, St. John was charged with possession of unspecified drug paraphernalia, attempted destruction of evidence, and resisting arrest. He ended up staying at Theo Lacy Jail in Orange County, California, for several days. While staying at F-West Barracks, around 20 inmates brutally beat Mark and stabbed him with pencils for an accusation of stealing. Several months after leaving the jail, St. John started suffering from severe body aches. He refused to see a doctor as he had no medical insurance.

As Mark didn’t receive any medical attention, his health deteriorated. On April 5, 2007, the guitarist died of a brain hemorrhage from an accidental overdose. His girlfriend argued the brutal beating caused Mark’s untimely death, while his friends believed he fell into the pit of depression and addiction. After his death, Mark St. John remained a lesser-known member of KISS who didn’t even appear on any album front cover.
MessageSujet: Re: Mark St John   Mark St John - Page 7 Icon_minitimeVen 28 Avr - 12:31

28.04.2023 10:27:15
https://2loud2oldmusic.com/2021/04/01/mark-st-john-mark-st-john-project-e-p-1999-album-review-the-kiss-review-series/
Mark St John - Page 7 Mark_s10

Mark St. John – Mark St. John Project E.P. (1999) – Album Review (The Kiss Review Series)

PUBLISHED ON April 1, 2021

Up next on the side projects is former Kiss guitarist, Mark St. John. Mark played on Animalize but didn’t last real long with the band. He developed a type of arthritic condition in his fingers that was very troublesome. When the band toured live for the album, Mark only played in 3 shows. The excuse was given that he was let go because he couldn’t play due to the condition with this hands, but I am not so sure that is true. I think his guitar fill-in on the tour who happened to be Bruce Kulick fit in with the band better than Mark so they let Mark go while on tour and stuck with Bruce who would stay in the band for over a decade. Probably a great move on their part.

Mark St John - Page 7 Mark_s10

Now that doesn’t take away from Mark’s ability as he was a hell of a shredder on the guitar. His playing was fast and frantic and he could rip out a solo. After he left Kiss, he actually did form a band and release an album independently with a band called White Tiger so technically I should’ve reviewed that album back when we were in the 1985/86 timeline, but if you have been paying attention to the review series, I have been picking the side projects with larger Kiss connections and other than Mark, there isn’t another Kiss connection I could make. Instead, I went all the way to 1999 and his Mark St. John Project and the E.P. they released. Why you may ask. Well that is because of the 5 songs on the E.P., three of those songs were co-written with a former Kiss alum, Peter Criss. That is right, the Catman. Mark had been working on a project prior to this with Peter around 1990. They shopped around a demo but the response was not so good.

Mark St John - Page 7 Mark_s11

Fast forward to the end of the decade and along with Phil Naro, Stan Miczek and Roger Banks, Mark had his new band, the Mark. St. John Project. Their 5 track E.P. is what we will review and this was basically their demo they were shopping around to get a record deal. And let me tell you it is the best thing I have ever heard in my life!!! I mean seriously!!

Ok, not really…April Fool’s!!!
The 3 songs co-written with Peter and recorded back in 1990, have now been redone with his new band playing the tracks. I don’t think they had any label interest as the project went no further than this. He did put out an another album a few years later that was all instrumental, but those are really hard to review so another reason I went with this one.

Mark St John - Page 7 Mark_s12

The first track is called “A.W.O.L.” and starts off with a siren (played on guitar). It is an all instrumental track and highlights Mark’s extreme guitar prowess. His frantic fingers were flying up and down the frets. It is a heavy track and goes at a breakneck speed. It is as close to speed metal as you can get without it being speed metal. I think it is a hell of an opening track and quite stellar.

The next track is “Between the Lines” co-written with Peter Criss. This one is a little rough for me and it isn’t because of the music. It really has to do with the lead singer Phil Naro. I don’t particular care for his vocals at all. He doesn’t sound in tune and I feel I sound better than that when I sing in the shower. There is a Great White feel to the vocals except Jack Russell sounds way better. It distracts so much from the song, it is hard to rate it otherwise. I think it could be a better song with someone else on vocals. Let’s talk about Mark, he does lay down a good solo, but it isn’t anything special. It is too plain and not flashy enough which is needed.

“Love For Sale” opens strong with some cool riffs and flashy fills by Mark, but is quickly destroyed when Phil starts to sing. I am sorry Phil if you ever read this, but the production on your vocals is not good. This time I don’t think it is all Phil’s fault as I don’t really like the song. The chorus is short and weak and not very memorable. This song needs a lot more work, but Mark’s guitar work is way better on this one the previous song so there is that plus.

The last vocal song on the album is “No I’m Not Afraid”. This time around we get a ballad and Phil really nails this one believe it or not. This song really fit his tone and he didn’t try to over sing it. It is more piano based, but has a nice rhythm section with the drum and bass driving the song along. It is still a little weak but of the three lyrical tracks it is by far the best of the bunch.

The last track on the album is another instrumental. The track is called “Baghdad” and this time around it starts off again with a similar siren sound to the “A.W.O.L.” track but lasts a lot longer. Then the guitar sound changes quickly to what sounds like a Sitar to give it that Middle Eastern sound to match the song title. It is a different side of Mark’s playing and shows how versatile he can be. It is nice to finish the way it started with an instrumental to highlight Mark’s immense talent.

Track Listing:
A.W.O.L. – Keeper
Between the Lines – Delete
Love for Sale – Delete
No I’m Not Afraid – Keeper
Baghdad – Keeper

The Track Score is 3 out of 5 or 60% which is better score than what you really get. I am not a fan of the lead singer, Phil Naro, but I do love Mark’s playing. However, this is not an album I’m going to pull out and play very often (I don’t own it, I actually streamed from the Tube of You). That doesn’t mean if I ever saw a copy out in the wild I wouldn’t grab it to add to the Kiss collection, I just wouldn’t play it. I am going to score the album a 2.0 out of 5.0 Stars. I think Mark would’ve been better off with an all instrumental such as his 2003 release of ‘Magic Bullet Theory’. Get that instead.
MessageSujet: Re: Mark St John   Mark St John - Page 7 Icon_minitimeVen 28 Avr - 12:46

28.04.2023 10:39:08

Mark St.John - Mark St.John Project EP (1999) - Critique d'album (La série Kiss Review)

Le suivant sur les projets parallèles est l'ancien guitariste de Kiss, Mark St. John. Mark a joué sur Animalize mais n'a pas duré très longtemps avec le groupe. Il a développé un type de condition arthritique dans ses doigts qui était très gênant. Lorsque le groupe a tourné en direct pour l'album, Mark n'a joué que dans 3 spectacles. L'excuse a été donnée qu'il a été licencié parce qu'il ne pouvait pas jouer en raison de l'état de cette main, mais je ne suis pas si sûr que ce soit vrai. Je pense que son remplaçant de guitare sur la tournée qui se trouvait être Bruce Kulick s'intégrait mieux au groupe que Mark, alors ils ont laissé Mark partir pendant la tournée et sont restés avec Bruce qui resterait dans le groupe pendant plus d'une décennie. Probablement une belle initiative de leur part.

Maintenant, cela n'enlève rien à la capacité de Mark car il était un sacré déchiqueteur à la guitare. Son jeu était rapide et frénétique et il pouvait arracher un solo. Après avoir quitté Kiss, il a en fait formé un groupe et sorti un album de manière indépendante avec un groupe appelé White Tiger, donc techniquement, j'aurais dû revoir cet album quand nous étions dans la chronologie 1985/86, mais si vous avez fait attention à la série de critiques, j'ai choisi les projets parallèles avec des connexions Kiss plus importantes et à part Mark, il n'y a pas d'autre connexion Kiss que je puisse établir. Au lieu de cela, je suis allé jusqu'en 1999 et son Mark St. John Project et l'E.P. ils ont libéré. Pourquoi vous pouvez demander. Eh bien, c'est à cause des 5 chansons de l'E.P., trois de ces chansons ont été co-écrites avec un ancien de Kiss, Peter Criss. C'est vrai, le Catman. Mark avait travaillé sur un projet avant cela avec Peter vers 1990. Ils ont cherché une démo mais la réponse n'a pas été si bonne.

Avance rapide jusqu'à la fin de la décennie et avec Phil Naro, Stan Miczek et Roger Banks, Mark avait son nouveau groupe, The Mark.Saint-John Projet. Leur E.P. 5 titres. est ce que nous allons passer en revue et c'était essentiellement leur démo qu'ils cherchaient à obtenir un contrat d'enregistrement. Et laissez-moi vous dire que c'est la meilleure chose que j'ai jamais entendue de ma vie !!! Je veux dire sérieux !!

Ok, pas vraiment… poisson d'avril !!!
Les 3 chansons co-écrites avec Peter et enregistrées en 1990, ont maintenant été refaites avec son nouveau groupe jouant les morceaux. Je ne pense pas qu'ils aient eu un intérêt pour le label car le projet n'est pas allé plus loin que cela. Il a sorti un autre album quelques années plus tard qui était entièrement instrumental, mais ceux-ci sont vraiment difficiles à critiquer, donc une autre raison pour laquelle j'ai choisi celui-ci.

La première piste s'appelle "A.W.O.L." et commence par une sirène (jouée à la guitare). C'est une piste entièrement instrumentale et met en évidence les prouesses extrêmes de Mark à la guitare. Ses doigts frénétiques volaient de haut en bas sur les frettes. C'est une piste lourde et va à une vitesse vertigineuse. C'est aussi proche que possible du speed metal sans que ce soit du speed metal. Je pense que c'est une sacrée piste d'ouverture et assez stellaire.

Le morceau suivant est "Between the Lines" co-écrit avec Peter Criss. Celui-ci est un peu difficile pour moi et ce n'est pas à cause de la musique. Cela a vraiment à voir avec le chanteur principal Phil Naro. Je n'aime pas du tout sa voix. Il ne sonne pas juste et j'ai l'impression que je sonne mieux que ça quand je chante sous la douche. Il y a une sensation de Great White dans la voix, sauf que Jack Russell sonne bien mieux. Cela distrait tellement de la chanson qu'il est difficile de l'évaluer autrement. Je pense que ça pourrait être une meilleure chanson avec quelqu'un d'autre au chant. Parlons de Mark, il fait un bon solo, mais ce n'est rien de spécial. C'est trop simple et pas assez flashy ce qui est nécessaire.

"Love For Sale" s'ouvre en force avec des riffs sympas et des fills flashy de Mark, mais est rapidement détruit lorsque Phil commence à chanter. Je suis désolé Phil si jamais tu lis ceci, mais la production de ta voix n'est pas bonne. Cette fois, je ne pense pas que tout soit de la faute de Phil car je n'aime pas vraiment la chanson. Le refrain est court et faible et peu mémorable. Cette chanson a besoin de beaucoup plus de travail, mais le travail de guitare de Mark est bien meilleur sur celle-ci que sur la chanson précédente, donc il y a cet avantage.

La dernière chanson vocale de l'album est "No I'm Not Afraid". Cette fois-ci, nous obtenons une ballade et Phil cloue vraiment celle-ci, croyez-le ou non. Cette chanson correspondait vraiment à son ton et il n'a pas essayé de la sur-chanter. Il est plus basé sur le piano, mais a une belle section rythmique avec la batterie et la basse entraînant la chanson. C'est encore un peu faible mais des trois titres lyriques c'est de loin le meilleur du lot.

Le dernier morceau de l'album est un autre instrumental. Le morceau s'appelle "Baghdad" et cette fois-ci, il recommence avec un son de sirène similaire à celui de "A.W.O.L." piste mais dure beaucoup plus longtemps. Ensuite, le son de la guitare se transforme rapidement en ce qui ressemble à un sitar pour lui donner ce son du Moyen-Orient correspondant au titre de la chanson. C'est une autre facette du jeu de Mark et montre à quel point il peut être polyvalent. C'est bien de finir comme ça a commencé avec un instrumental pour souligner l'immense talent de Mark.

Le score de la piste est de 3 sur 5 ou 60 %, ce qui est un meilleur score que ce que vous obtenez réellement. Je ne suis pas fan du chanteur principal, Phil Naro, mais j'adore le jeu de Mark. Cependant, ce n'est pas un album que je vais sortir et jouer très souvent (je ne le possède pas, j'ai en fait diffusé depuis le Tube of You). Cela ne veut pas dire que si jamais je voyais une copie dans la nature, je ne la saisirais pas pour l'ajouter à la collection Kiss, je ne la jouerais tout simplement pas. Je vais attribuer à l'album une note de 2,0 sur 5,0 étoiles. Je pense que Mark aurait été mieux avec un tout instrumental tel que sa sortie en 2003 de "Magic Bullet Theory". Obtenez cela à la place.
Contenu sponsoriséMark St John - Page 7 Vide
MessageSujet: Re: Mark St John   Mark St John - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Mark St John
Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Revenir en haut 
Page 7 sur 7Aller à la page : Précédent  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7